Posts for tag: children
In the fall, I often see a rush of parents bringing in their kids for problems with ingrown toenails. Ingrown toenails can be a tough thing for kids and parents to deal with. Kids just want to be able to run and play and parents worry about how to help their children with this condition. Parents may also have concerns about how their child will handle the minor surgery needed to treat an ingrown toenail.
Before seeing the podiatrist, you can help reduce your child's pain level by using home remedies and taking some practical steps:
- Soak your kid's foot in room-temperature water with Epsom's salt
- Gently massage the side of the nail fold to help reduce inflammation
- Make sure they're wearing the right shoe size so that their toe avoids repeated irritation. Avoid tight socks for the same reason.
Get it treated by a children's podiatrist
It's important that you find a podiatrist that works well with children and will take the time needed to make the procedure as painless as possible. Never try to cut out your kid's ingrown toenail. We've seen many cases of infection from people who have tried what we call "bathroom surgery".
- Get your child's feet measured regularly to ensure proper shoe size
- Trim your child's nails straight across
- Make sure your child is wearing the right shoe for their current sport's activity
Call us today at 206-368-7000 for an appointment, often same day. You can also request an appointment online.
Get our free foot book "No More Foot Pain", mailed directly to your home.
Seattle foot and ankle specialist, Dr. Rion Berg offers foot care for patients with bunions, heel pain, diabetes, fungal toenails, ingrown nails, and surgical solutions when needed to residents of Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Shoreline, Lake Forest Park, Mountlake Terrace, Lynnwood and other surrounding suburbs.