You may have received laser treatment from our Seattle office or at another podiatrist's office to get rid of your fungal toenails. Your toenails have cleared or look much better than they did when you first got treated.
But unfortunately if you've had fungal toenails in the past, the chance of your fungus coming back is great. To increase the likelihood that it doesn't come back or remain under control, it's important to keep up your routine that your podiatrist first gave you.
Here's what to do:
- use a topical such as Formula 3 which contains Tolnaftate, a drug that was formulated for athlete's foot and works for fungal nails since the fungus that causes both problems is the same.
- use a Shoe Zapper (available at our office) or another UV light shoe sanitizer such as SteriShoe+ Ultraviolet Shoe Sanitizer after you remove your shoes to keep them free of fungus.
- alternate your shoes on a daily basis. This is particularly important if you work out everyday since your tennis shoes are more likely to become moist.
- use socks that wick away moisture. Avoid socks made from cotton and instead use socks made out of Coolmax fibers or other synthetic blends. Some of the most highly rated brands include Thorlo, Darn Touch Vermont, Nike, Asics, Injiji, SmartWool Trekking Heavy Crew Socks (Gray) Large, and Belega, Swiftwick, and Feetures.
- avoid using nail polish since it weakens your nails. If you still want to paint your toenails, we recommend Dr.'s Remedy Enriched Nail Polish which is specially formulated to keep your toenails in great shape (it lacks the toxins that are in most over-the-counter toenail polishes and contains vitamins, wheat protein and tea tree oil which contains anti-fungal properties). This type of polish can be purchased at the Foot and Ankle Center of Lake City or at Amazon (follow the link above).
If you have fungal nails and have not been treated, call us today at 206-368-7000 for an appointment. Often same day for emergencies and less than 2 weeks for chronic foot pain. You can also request an appointment online.
Get our free foot book "No More Foot Pain", mailed directly to your home.
Seattle foot and ankle specialist, Dr. Rion Berg offers foot care for patients with bunions, heel pain, diabetes, fungal toenails, ingrown nails, and surgical solutions when needed to residents of Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Shoreline, Lake Forest Park, Mountlake Terrace, Lynnwood and other surrounding suburbs.