Seattle’s “biggest fan” Lorin “Big Lo” Sandretzky was very close to predicting the score of the Seahawks first playoff win against the Panthers. He predicted a 38/12 win over the Carolina Panthers and we now know that we won 31/17. Big Lo may not technically be the biggest sports fan but he certainly was the largest, topping the scales 658 pounds back in 2007. Diagnosed with diabetes his doctor ordered that he lose weight. Even after losing 300 pounds, this lovable fan with a big heart is still suffering from multiple illnesses including a recent foot surgery. Very likely Big Lo also has diabetic neuropathy.
Although being overweight is a huge contributor to developing Type 2 or adult onset diabetes even thinner people can get diabetes or pre-diabetes depending on other risk factors such as high blood pressure or a family history of diabetes.
At the Foot and Ankle Center of Lake City our Seattle podiatrists specialize in treating foot problems that result from diabetes such as diabetic neuropathy and foot ulcers.
If you have diabetic neuropathy which means you are unable to feel your feet normally, it’s vital that you take the following precautions:
- Check your feet and toes for any changes on a daily basis
- Wear thick, soft socks without seams – e.g. Smooth Toe Diabetic Socks
- Exercise to improve circulation and manage your weight.
- See a podiatrist at least annually to obtain a CDFE (Comprehensive Diabetic Foot Exam). This test will help identify any potential foot problems to prevent ulcers and other dangerous foot complications.
- As a result of the CDFE, your podiatrist will determine if you need to obtain therapeutic shoes provided through a special Medicare Therapeutic Shoe Program.
- Other foot problems such as bunions, flat feet, or hammertoes may require orthotics to correct for these conditions to prevent further complications.
If you or a loved one has diabetes, it’s time to start seeing a podiatrist. To set up a appointment, contact our office at 206-368-7000 or request an appointment online.